Police seize PHP 13.7M shabu in weekend raids
BACOLOD CITY — Weekend anti-illegal drug operations resulted in the confiscation of a total of PHP 13.7 million worth of suspected shabu and the arrest of four persons, including two college students and a former drug offender here and in Negros Oriental on Saturday. After serving nine years in jail for

By Glazyl M. Jopson

By Glazyl M. Jopson
BACOLOD CITY — Weekend anti-illegal drug operations resulted in the confiscation of a total of PHP 13.7 million worth of suspected shabu and the arrest of four persons, including two college students and a former drug offender here and in Negros Oriental on Saturday.
After serving nine years in jail for a drug offense, a 38-year-old unemployed man is back behind bars following the alleged confiscation of PHP 6.9 million worth of suspected shabu in a drug bust in Sitio Capagongan, Barangay Poblacion, Zamboanguita town.
Police Capt. Stephen Polinar, spokesperson for the Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office, identified the suspect as Kitt, a resident of Barangay Batinguel, Dumaguete City, who allegedly yielded 1,018.4 grams of suspected shabu.
This is the biggest drug haul of the Negros Oriental police for this year, according to Polinar.
Polinar said the suspect reportedly picked up the item from another area on the same day before he met with the police poseur-buyer for a transaction in Zamboanguita.
The operation was led by the Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit and Provincial Intelligence Unit, in coordination with the Philippine Drug Enforcement Group and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency.
Polinar said the suspect, tagged as a high-value individual, was previously arrested for the sale and possession of dangerous drugs in 2016 and was released from jail in October 2025.
He said authorities had been monitoring the suspect after receiving information that he had allegedly returned to the illegal drug trade.
Polinar said an investigation is ongoing to determine the extent of the suspect’s drug network and the source of the contraband.
The provincial government commended the dedication and relentless efforts of the police and all operating units for their continued fight against illegal drugs and for ensuring safer communities across the province.
Meanwhile, two college students and a companion were arrested after authorities seized 1 kilogram of suspected shabu valued at PHP 6.8 million in Purok Masinadyahon, Barangay 24 here.
Apprehended were the subject, Rolly, 23, and his alleged cohorts Gabrielle, 23, and Alex, 19, all residents of Barangay 4 here.
Investigation Agent 1 Keith Capili, PDEA-Negros Island Region spokesperson, said Rolly and Gabrielle are college students who had been under monitoring, along with Alex, for their alleged involvement in illegal drugs.
Capili said the three were tagged as high-value individuals and were arrested for a drug offense for the first time.
She said an investigation is ongoing to determine why they reportedly got involved in the illegal activity, how and where they were able to get such a large volume of illegal drugs, the area of distribution and the extent of their network.
Capili said the recovered sedan allegedly used during the transaction will also be part of the investigation because it was not registered to any of them.
Capili said Rolly’s companions can also be considered drug pushers because of their alleged participation and knowledge of their friend’s transaction.
“They can be charged for conspiracy,” she added.
Authorities are expected to file charges under Republic Act No. 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, the country’s primary law against illegal drugs.
On May 13, a 53-year-old man was also arrested in Barangay Caduhaan, Cadiz City, Negros Occidental, after police seized from him 23 grams of suspected shabu worth PHP 156,400 in a drug bust.
Article Information
Comments (0)
LEAVE A REPLY
No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!
Related Articles

MORE Power, Negros Power cut May electricity rates
Two major Western Visayas distribution utilities announced lower electricity rates this May, offering consumers some relief despite upward price pressures linked to the ongoing conflict among the United States, Israel, and Iran. The war in the Middle East has rattled global energy markets, pushing up crude oil benchmarks and adding

De Lima seeks House probe of Boracay bridge project
A resolution filed at the House of Representatives seeks an inquiry in aid of legislation into the proposed 2.54-kilometer Boracay Bridge Project in Malay, Aklan, amid mounting opposition from local stakeholders over environmental and governance concerns. Mamamayang Liberal (ML) party-list Rep. Leila de Lima filed the resolution on May 18, calling

Iloilo City launches La Paz waterway cleanup vs flooding
Garbage-clogged waterways in La Paz district are the focus of a government-led cleanup campaign aimed at preventing flooding and identifying sources of waste through river waste traps. On Tuesday, May 19, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)-Region 6 and the Department of Public Works and Highways–Iloilo City District Engineering Office
