Iloilo City deploys water tanks amid supply worries
Static water tanks have been deployed in several areas of Iloilo City as authorities intensified water augmentation efforts amid supply concerns during the warm and dry season. The prolonged dry spell has reduced water availability in parts of the metro, prompting the city government to implement contingency measures to address residents’

By Rjay Zuriaga Castor

By Rjay Zuriaga Castor
Static water tanks have been deployed in several areas of Iloilo City as authorities intensified water augmentation efforts amid supply concerns during the warm and dry season.
The prolonged dry spell has reduced water availability in parts of the metro, prompting the city government to implement contingency measures to address residents’ immediate water needs.
Two static water tanks, each with a capacity of 2,000 liters, were installed on May 21 and 22 in Barangay Calaparan in Arevalo and Barangay Hinactacan in La Paz for domestic use.
The city government identified Calaparan as among the critical areas experiencing recurring water supply interruptions.
Other heavily affected areas include Ticud in La Paz; Zamora Melliza and Rizal Pala-Pala I in City Proper; Navais in Mandurriao; Baldoza in La Paz; Muelle Loney in City Proper; Sooc in Arevalo; and San Isidro in La Paz.
Authorities said the water delivered through the tanks is potable upon distribution.
Residents, however, were advised to boil the water before drinking because of possible secondary contamination during transport and handling.
“Our teams continue to assess other affected areas to determine where additional interventions and deployments are needed. We are continuously monitoring the situation and coordinating with concerned agencies to ensure that the immediate needs of residents in Iloilo City are promptly addressed,” the city government said in a statement.
During a May 15 press conference, Engr. Neil Ravena, executive director of the Crisis Management Council, said 50 static pumps had already been prepared as part of the city’s contingency measures against the effects of El Niño.
Ravena said the preparations aim to ensure an immediate response should water supply conditions worsen.
“The reason why we already prepared the static pumps is also to have an immediate response in case the situation deteriorates,” he said.
Ravena said authorities are also conducting ongoing assessments of shallow wells and other potential water sources in barangays.
Initial reports showed declining water levels in most wells, although conditions have not reached alert levels, he added.
Ravena said 25 barangays are under close monitoring based on Iloilo City’s Climate and Disaster Risk Assessment.
Most of the monitored barangays are in City Proper, Arevalo and Mandurriao.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration raised an El Niño Alert on April 22, citing a 79% probability that El Niño may emerge from June to August 2026 and persist until early 2027.
PAGASA has advised government agencies and affected sectors to prepare for possible impacts on water supply, agriculture, power generation and public health.
Article Information
Comments (0)
LEAVE A REPLY
No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!
Related Articles

REHAB RESET: Government-led upgrade eyed for Iloilo airport expansion
The government is weighing a revised approach for the long-planned upgrade and expansion of the Iloilo International Airport, as authorities consider moving the project under a solicited public-private partnership scheme. The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines said the Department of Transportation is now studying the solicited mode for the operation

IPHO warns of dengue risk as rains approach
Despite lower dengue cases in Iloilo province this year, health authorities warned residents not to lower their guard, as expected rains and flooding may trigger another increase in mosquito-borne diseases. The Iloilo Provincial Health Office said dengue transmission continues even during the dry season, noting that stagnant water in uncovered containers

Palace defends Mabilog’s DILG post amid old drug claims
Malacañang defended the appointment of former Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog as undersecretary of the Department of the Interior and Local Government, saying no criminal cases were filed against him over illegal drug allegations raised during the Duterte administration. Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the absence of charges against
