City gov’t to release P11-million calamity fund for ‘Paeng’ victims
The Iloilo City Government is set to release P11 million for the victims of Severe Tropical Storm Paeng in the city. In a press conference on Monday, Nov 7, 2022, Iloilo City Mayor Jerry P. Treñas said that the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRMC) had already approved

By John Noel E. Herrera

By John Noel E. Herrera
The Iloilo City Government is set to release P11 million for the victims of Severe Tropical Storm Paeng in the city.
In a press conference on Monday, Nov 7, 2022, Iloilo City Mayor Jerry P. Treñas said that the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRMC) had already approved the resolution for the release of the calamity fund.
Treñas added that there was no need for the Sangguniang Panlungsod’s approval of the resolution as President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had already placed the entire Western Visayas in a state of calamity.
“Indi na pagpadala sa City Council (the resolution) kay ti na-aprubahan naman na (CDRRMC) and may state of calamity na kita kay Presidente (Marcos Jr.), i-finalize na lang ang resolution, tapos payroll na and release dayon,” the mayor said.
Treñas also said that families with destroyed houses will receive P10,000 cash assistance each, while those with damaged houses will receive P7,000.
Reports from Iloilo City DRRM Office indicated that a total of 1,593 families or 6,754 individuals from 55 barangays in the metro were affected by typhoon Paeng.
Data also revealed that a total of 167 houses in Iloilo City were destroyed while 342 were damaged.
A total of 30 barangays were also reported to be flooded, including San Isidro, Camalig, Dungon B, Desamparados, Lopez Jaena, Benedicto, Cuartero, Simon Ledesma, Tagbac, and Tabuc Suba in Jaro district; Pali Benedicto, PHHC Block 17, San Rafael, Hibao-an Norte, Hibao-an Sur, Tabucan, Navais, Q. Abeto, Calahunan, and Oñate de Leon in Mandurriao district; Sto. Niño Sur, Yulo, So-oc and Sto. Domingo in Arevalo district; Bonifacio Tanza and Concepcion in City Proper; Sinikway in Lapuz, and San Isidro in La Paz.
Treñas also revealed that most of the families affected by the typhoon are included in the list of 15,000 families that the city needs to relocate and cited the importance of having flood control and housing projects for the residents.
The city government, through the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) had already provided relief goods to all the affected families, while the Uswag Ilonggo Partylist provided financial assistance to all the victims.
Article Information
Comments (0)
LEAVE A REPLY
No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!
Related Articles

Iloilo water supply dips as Maasin Dam hits red alert
Several Metro Pacific Iloilo Water (MPIW) service areas have experienced low pressure and intermittent supply interruptions in recent days, as the Maasin Dam fell to red alert and bulk water production declined amid prolonged dry weather and extreme heat. MPIW first raised concerns on March 14, when the Maasin Dam water


