Bacolod readies localized 911 hotline for faster response
By Glazyl M. Jopson
By Glazyl M. Jopson
BACOLOD CITY — Mayor Greg Gasataya said the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) is now testing the city’s localized 911 emergency hotline.
Gasataya said a DILG representative overseeing the 911 system arrived in the city on Aug. 13 to inspect hotline operations and conduct tests.
As of Aug. 14, Gasataya said the DILG was ready to issue a certificate allowing Bacolod to officially go live, enabling local operators to directly answer 911 calls originating from the city.
Gasataya said that once residents call 911, Bacolod operators will answer the calls, unlike before when operators from other areas handled them.
He said some residents had previously raised concerns about coordination during emergencies because Bacolod operators did not handle calls directly.
“As of Wednesday night, gin-test nila, pwede na gid makabaton. We will officially launch 911 BCD soon,” the mayor said.
Gasataya said he had been working on localizing the emergency hotline since last year to ensure faster response during emergencies.
“There will be no language barrier and this is localized. The system is in place,” he said.
He also appealed to the public to use the hotline responsibly, stressing that emergency calls could involve matters of life and death.
“Ndi paghampangan kay indi ini hampanganan,” Gasataya said.
Residents can dial 911 for emergencies requiring police, fire, and other emergency response services.
The Unified 911 system was launched nationwide in September 2025 as a single emergency hotline that is free, available 24/7, and designed to provide language-sensitive assistance.
While 911 is a unified nationwide emergency number, Gasataya said calls originating from Bacolod will now be received directly by local operators, which he expects will improve response times.
“Unified 911 naman siya nationwide. Same number, pero localized ang pagsabat kag response, so ma-improve gid ang oras,” he said.
The Police Regional Office-Negros Island Region (PRO-NIR) officially launched the SAFE NIR Dial 911 program in Bacolod City on June 4 to provide quicker, more responsive, and community-oriented emergency services for residents.
From its launch through Aug. 16, the program received 364 calls, resulting in the arrest of 53 individuals.
The SAFE NIR Dial 911 program remains a centralized regional police hotline under the flagship initiative of PRO-NIR chief Brig. Gen. Romano Cardiño.
SAFE stands for Seen, Appreciated, Felt, and Extraordinary and is designed to make police assistance more accessible, responsive, and connected to the communities it serves.
Comments (0)
LEAVE A REPLY
No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!
Related Articles

DOLE-6 asks employers to give parents time for measles shots
By Mariela Angella Oladive ILOILO CITY – Private-sector employers in Western Visayas are being encouraged to accommodate workers who need to attend to their young children during the government’s measles-rubella vaccination campaign. The Department of Labor and Employment-Western Visayas (DOLE-6), through an advisory issued in relation to Labor Advisory No. 2, series of 2026, said

‘FAIR SHOT, PLEASE’: Minority measures stuck at committee level, Baronda says
ILOILO CITY — More than a year into her term, Iloilo City Vice Mayor Lady Julie Grace “Love-Love” Baronda said legislation pushed by the minority bloc continues to face hurdles in the 12th Sangguniang Panlungsod, with several measures still without committee reports despite passing first reading as early as last year.

PHP 121.84-M TOP-UP: Collection surpluses, savings fund Iloilo City supplemental budget
ILOILO CITY — The Iloilo City Council has approved a PHP 121.84 million Supplemental Budget No. 1 for 2026, funded largely by excess tax and other collections, savings, and the reversion of unused appropriations. The budget will support the maintenance of public markets, infrastructure projects, and holiday assistance for indigent families,
