By Jennifer P. Rendon
Two teenage boys were believed to have been electrocuted after a lightning struck the nipa hut where they were resting late morning of June 29, 2022 in Anilao, Iloilo.
Luckily, Tony (real name withheld), 13, a resident of Barangay, Pantalan, Anilao and Reneboy Gonzaga Jr., 18, of Barangay Dugwakan, Banate, Iloilo survived with non-life-threatening injuries.
The duo was allegedly lying on a makeshift bed inside a nipa hut in the middle of a watermelon plantation at Barangay Sta. Rita.
Tony went with his father who works with Gonzaga in the plantation.
Staff Sergeant Rechie Bretaña, Anilao police investigator, said lightning may have hit the wooden pole where an electrical wiring was connected going to the hut.
Electrical charges from the lightning could have travelled through the wire to the hut, he surmised.
The two victims claimed their bodies suddenly jerked. Subsequently, they felt pain on their body and stomach.
A certain Michael Silva saw the victims and asked for help. The victims were rushed to the nearest hospital for treatment.
Tony was referred to Western Visayas Medical Center for treatment.
He was later discharged after his magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) result showed no damage on his brain.
Gonzaga was also discharged Thursday morning.