Two men die of electrocution while fixing WiFi connection

By Jennifer P. Rendon

The hope of getting better WiFi connection had a tragic ending for a man and his nephew who died from electrocution morning of August 30, 2021 in Passi City, Iloilo.

The victims were identified as Jhasper Sioting, 28, and his cousin’s son, 20-year-old Jenloyd Cerbo, both residents of Barangay Buyo, Passi City.

Mark Cerbo, Jenloyd’s brother, reported the incident to the police 8:30 p.m. of Monday.

Investigation showed that the incident happened 10:00 a.m. after the two men helped each other fix their WiFi line that was “attached to the main line of the Iloilo Electric Cooperative II,” the police report stated.

Lieutenant Colonel Dennis Pamonag, Passi City police chief, said it was unclear how the duo fixed their WiFi line connection. But he presumed that the WiFi line “touched” or got tangled with the power utility’s mainline.

The victims were taken to Don Valerio F. Palmares Memorial District Hospital in Passi City but were declared dead on arrival.

Pamonag said they’re still conducting investigation if the electric cooperative could be held liable.