Two killed, one injured in road mishaps

A police car collided with a motorcycle, killing its rider in Barangay Punao, San Carlos City, Negros Occidental Wednesday. (Photo courtesy of San Carlos City Police Station)

By Glazyl Y. Masculino

BACOLOD City – Two motorcycle riders were killed, while another was wounded in separate road accidents in Negros Occidental last Wednesday.

In San Carlos City, Roy Valiente, 35, of Escalante City, died after a patrol car of San Carlos City Police Station collided with his motorcycle in Barangay Punao.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Jesus Mesahon Jr., San Carlos City police chief, said the patrol car driven by 37-year-old John Mil Kenn Nieves was on its way to the police station after conducting patrolling in the area when he allegedly overtook a tricycle. However, Nieves failed to notice Valiente’s motorcycle in the opposite lane.

Due to a slippery road caused by heavy rains, the car swerved and fell into a canal after the collision.

Valiente was declared dead on arrival at a hospital, while the two policemen and the driver were unharmed.

Mesahon said the driver is detained at the police station, pending the filing of charges or a possible settlement with the victim’s family.

Meanwhile, in Sagay City, motorcycle driver Kayne Ray Taleda, 22, of Barangay Paraiso, died, after he was run over by a tractor truck in Barangay Old Sagay. His companion Junies Caspe, 22, of Barangay Bulanon, was wounded.

Police Executive Master Sergeant Elmer Baloco of Sagay City Police Station, said Taleda and another motorcycle driven by John Danly Baraga, 21, of Barangay Taba-ao were tailing a tractor truck driven by Fernando Laspino, 47, of Cebu.

Baraga, however, overtook the truck and suddenly stopped when he noticed a tricycle parked from a distance, Baloco said.

As a result, Taleda hit Baraga’s motorcycle, and they fell to the ground. However, Taleda succumbed to serious injuries, while his companion suffered minor injuries. Baraga was unharmed.

Baloco said that Laspino was released from police custody following an initial settlement with the victim’s family.