By Felipe V. Celino
ROXAS CITY, Capiz – Quarry activities are being blamed for the flood that affected more than 50 families at Sitio San Juan in Brgy. Lonoy here last Wednesday.
This was the assessment of Punong Barangay Fernando Valles of Lonoy on Thursday.
Valles said continued quarry operations led to silt clogging the drainage system along the national highway that eventually caused the flood.
The village chief said this was the first time in recent history that their village was inundated.
The knee-deep flood submerged some of the houses. The city government has extended relief assistance to the affected families.
Last July 11, 2022, Gov. Fredenil “Oto” Castro issued an executive order suspending quarry operations in the province of Capiz.
The governor issued the order after receiving complaints about alleged violations committed by quarry permit holders.
A task force had been created to disseminate the executive order to the quarry operators. It will also monitor and inspect quarry operations in the province.
Under the executive order, the violator may face legal action, cancellation of permits and issuance of cease-and-desist order.
But Castro said he reconsidered the need for sand and gravel for the infrastructure projects the reason why he allowed quarry operators to get special permits subject to certain conditions