NIA worker electrocuted

By Felipe V. Celino

ROXAS CITY, Capiz – A 33-year-old worker of the National Irrigation Administration (NIA) died from electrocution while installing a cable from the house of a local resident to a drilling site Tuesday morning at Sitio Agpipili in Barangay San Nicolas, Tapaz, Capiz.

Darwin Galindo Alcolea of Brgy. Acao, Cabatuan, Iloilo succumbed to third-degree burns in the different parts of his body.

Investigation by PSMS Rocer Garde of the Tapaz Municipal Police Station indicated that the incident happened around 7 a.m. while Alcolea was checking the electric cable that connects their drilling site to the house of Merlita Melicado.

He asked his colleague Noly Altomea to plug in the line after noticing that the drilling machine was not running. Altomea heeded his request which led to the incident.

It was learned that a certain Bingyu Pason Go, an in-law of the victim, installed the electric cable last September 12, 2022.