By Dolly Yasa
BACOLOD City – Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson said that with COVID-19 cases in the province reduced to single digit numbers, he is eyeing the possibility of lifting the curfew in the province.
But Lacson told reporters Monday that he will first consult the mayors about the plan.
“If majority says yes, then we can decide to lift the 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew, unless there are local chief executives who wants to maintain it in their areas of jurisdiction,” the governor said.
On the other hand, curfew starts 12 midnight to 4 a.m. in highly urbanized Bacolod City.
Lacson said some businessmen have aired proposals to lift the curfew since the number of COVID-19 cases in Negros Occidental are down to single digits.
But he admitted that the implementation of curfew hours also helped in preventing the spread of COVID-19.
“I believe every measure we took contributed to where we are right now,” he stressed.
Meanwhile, Lacson said that they have yet to set the date for the proposed four-day COVID-19 vaccination drive as the province’s inoculation program remains slow.
The governor said he had talked with Dr. Ernell Tumimbang and he was told that they have not yet set the exact date of the vaccination drive.
But Lacson said Tumimbang will present to them their new plans this week and as soon as they are ready, they’ll be able to schedule the activity.
Lacson pointed out they are going to need the involvement of all inter-local health zones.
“Hopefully by this week we can already decide kung san-o ta ma start,” he added.
Based on the Department of Health (DOH) Region VI situation report, as of May 18, 2022, Negros Occidental had already fully vaccinated 1,061,975 persons.