By: Jennifer P. Rendon
TWENTY-four Ilonggo students showed the world how to tackle Mathematics in a breeze.
Composed of students from kindergarten to Grade 9, they raked in a world star trophy, two champion trophies, 22 medals and 2 certificates in the Hong Kong International Mathematical Olympiad (HKIMO) held in Hong Kong from Aug. 30 to Sept. 2, 2019.
The team competed against 19 other countries.
The young Ilonggo prides emerged from Ling To Primary Catholic School in Ho Man Tin, Hong Kong with 8 gold medals, 8 silver medals, 6 bronze medals and 2 merit awards.
Among the highlights of the team’s victory were special individual awards given to students who showed exemplary performance.
Matthew B. Defensor, a Grade 5 student from Solomon Integrated School de Iloilo, received the World Star Trophy and a Free HKIMO 2020 free and easy package for being the best performer from the Philippines. He also received a Champion Trophy for being World Champion in his grade level.
James Martin Young, a Grade 9 student from Philippine Science High School Western Visayas Campus, received a Champion Trophy for being World Champion in his grade level.
“I feel proud and honored to be one of the team leaders of Team Iloilo. We survived Hong Kong and we went home with world star and champion awards. We thank our supportive parents and mentors, whom despite of the riot did push through to make Iloilo a home of champions in this international math Olympiad. We will continue with this endeavor to enhance the Quality of mathematics in the region,” Dr. Stephen Jinon, team leader and Coordinator of HKIMO-Iloilo, said.
Other participating teams were from Australia, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Ukraine.
- Matthew Defensor – Primary 4, Solomon Integrated School de Iloilo (World Star, Champion )
- Jacques Simon Timtiman – Secondary 2, PSHS
- Julia Alessandra – Primary 6, PSHS
- Atila Vinculado – Primary 5, Child’s Academy
- Rezh Bernice Loretizo- Ateneo(P5)
- James Martin Young – Secondary 2, PSHS (Champion)
- Angeli Eona Marie C. Orlina – Primary 5, Passi 1 Central School
- Frank Tyrese Casco – Primary 1, Iloilo Scholastic Academy
- Paul Montalban- Secondary 2, PAREF Westbridge
- Athena Dorothy Dagnalan – Primary 2, Hua Siong College of Iloilo
- Joana Nicole Balopenos – Primary 4, SPED-ISEC
- Joachim Santino Timtiman- Primary 6, PSHS
- Sophia Kirsten Tunguia – Primary 5, SPED-ISEC
- Dashell Sean Villanueva – Primary 6, Philippine Science High School
- Ziron John Valaquio – Secondary 1, Philippine Science High School
- Naomi Defensor – Kindergarten, Solomon Integrated School de Iloilo
- Matthew Limsiaco – Primary 2, PAREF Westbridge
- Gihun Yoo – Primary 4, St. Joseph School (Iloilo) Inc.
- Zoephia Valaquio – Primary 4, SPED-ISEC
- John Benedict Castro – Primary 4, St Joseph School (Iloilo) Inc.
- Jerick Edd M. Casem – Primary 5, Dao Central School, Tobias Fornier, Antique
- Ramiex Brylle Estudillo – Secondary 3, PAREF Westbridge
- Marcus Pranga- Secondary 3, PAREF Westbridge