By: Dolly Yasa
BACOLOD City – More or less five tons of imported pork valued at P500,000 was seized Wednesday afternoon at the Bredco port here.
Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson and officials of the Provincial Veterinary Office (PVO) and the National Meat Inspection Service led the operation.
PVO head Dr. Renante Decena said the pork products came from Germany and was bound for Iloilo from Cebu City.
Although there are no confirmed cases of African swine fever in Germany, officials said pork products from the European countries are banned in the Philippines because the virus was detected in Poland.
Aside from the lack of a shipping permit, the driver of the truck on which the products were loaded was also inconsistent with his statement to authorities.
The driver claimed that the products were to be dropped off in the town of Manapla while he was heading for Iloilo.
When officials further checked their counterparts in Cebu, they discovered the shipment was originally meant for Bacolod.
After conducting a full inventory, the PVO immediately burned and buried the pork products at the Bredco port.
Earlier this week, the PVO was placed on heightened alert after the Department of Agriculture confirmed on Monday that hog samples taken from pig farms in Luzon tested positive for African swine fever.