By: Jennifer P. Rendon
JAMINDAN, Capiz – In a statement that came as no surprise, President Rodrigo Duterte picked on former Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog and the Commission on Human Rights as the former talked about his fight against illegal drugs.
Duterte was talking on fulfilling his promise to the 727 members of the Rebolusyonaryong Partido ng Manggagawa Pilipinas – Revolutionary Proletarian Army – Alex Boncayao Brigade – Tabara Paduano Group (RPM-P/RPA/ABB-TPG) when his speech shifted to illegal drugs.
He first called out CHR, as he stated the need to do away with drugs.
“Sa Human Rights, nakikinig man kayo, iwasan ninyo ang droga. Puro tayo Pilipino. Mahal natin ang bayan natin at hindi ako papayag na masira ang mga anak natin,” Duterte said, as he went on to explain that these children will eventually be the ones to look after their parents.
Duterte made this remark during the RPM-P/RPA/ABB-TPG disposition of arms and forces on Thursday, September 19, at the Philippine Army’s 3rd Infantry Division headquarters in Camp Macario Peralta in Jamindan, Capiz.
He mentioned the prevalence of illegal drugs, which could be heard and read in all levels of the news.
Duterte also said that every day, a police officer is killed during operation.
“Itong Human Rights, ang binibilang ang patay na kriminal. Hindi nila binibilang ang mga biktima,” he said, citing a case in Makati.
The President also talked about his readiness to face the consequences of his acts.
“Bitayin ninyo ako. Ikulong ninyo ako okay lang but as long as I’m the president, you stop. If you don’t during my term, mamamatay ka talaga. Prangkahan na lang tayo,” he said.
Duterte’s tirade was halted for about 25 seconds after a gecko interrupted him. He then went on about making good of his promise and cited the gains they made in rehabilitating Boracay Island.
He then remembered Mabilog.
“Yung Mabilog ng Iloilo. L_nti nga. Nagtatanong siya kay Bong,” he said, alluding that Mabilog allegedly asked Senator Christopher “Bong” Go if he (Duterte) is angry at him.
“Sabihin mo sa kanya, siya ang isunod ko. Sumibat,” he said.
The former mayor was last seen publicly in Iloilo in August 2017 before his Japan conference on disaster management that ran from August 31 to September 4.
He then went straight to Malaysia for an official trip, which has an inclusive date of September 7-9. He then filed for leave and extended it for another 30 days.
But before his leave of absence expired, the Ombudsman ordered his dismissal.
Mabilog did not return to the country since then citing security reasons.
But hours after he was lambasted, Mabilog, who celebrated his birthday on Sept. 20, posted what appeared to be his photo.
The man on the photo turned his back to the camera and was looking at a city landscape of an unknown area.
His post had an accompanying caption, “Lord, please do come and forgive me, heal me and transform me. Help me to know Your saving power in my life. When I receive this grace, help me to return to You in gratitude everything that I am and to follow You wherever You lead. Jesus, I trust in You.”