By: Dolly Yasa
BACOLOD City – The number of dengue fatalities in Negros Occidental has now reached 37, based on the latest records from the Provincial Health Office (PHO).
The PHO said that from January 1 to August 19, 2019, they have recorded around 5,990 dengue cases, a 60 percent spike compared to the same period last year.
Records show Cadiz City and Cauayan had the highest number of fatalities with four, followed by Himamaylan, San Carlos and Kabankalan with three deaths each.
Bago City, Escalante City and the towns of Don Salvador Benedicto and Candoni, meanwhile, recorded two fatalities each.
Sagay, Victorias, La Carlota, Binalbagan, Calatrava, EB Magalona, Hinigaran, Hinoba-an, La Castellana, Manapla, and Murcia had one fatality each.
Earlier, Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson said he recently met with health officials to remind them that dengue fever remains prevalent and requires cooperation from the community.
“There’s no question that local government units are now on heightened alert trying to minimize the number of cases,” he insisted.