Bacolod City releases P9.8M for pay of SPES beneficiaries

As of July 19, 2019, a total of 2,042 beneficiaries of the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) have received their salaries from the city government, totaling P9.885 million, according to a report from PESO. (PIO)

BACOLOD City – A total of P9.885 million has been released by the city government here for the salaries of 2,042 beneficiaries of the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES).

Ma. Rebecca Balicas, head of the Public Employment Services Office (PESO), said more than 80 percent of the summer jobbers have already received their pay.

“The releasing is ongoing. They can claim their salaries until Friday,” she said.

City cashiers started paying the students last July 19 at the main lobby of Bacolod City Government Center.

Under the city government’s partnership with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), a total of 130 students were hired for summer jobs this year.

Each beneficiary has a total pay of P9,560 for 20 days of work. Of the total amount, P5,736 or 60 percent is paid by the city while the remaining P3,842 or 40 percent is shouldered by the DOLE.

The 130 students, who were employed from April 15 to May 8, initially received only the 60 percent, all amounting to P745,680, since they have to claim their pay from the DOLE separately.

Balicas said they will announce later the schedule of release of the remaining 40 percent.

Meanwhile, a total of 1,912 students received salaries worth P9.139 million, all from the city government. Each of them received P4,780, or P478 daily for 10 days of work from April 15 to 26, which is the rate prescribed by the DOLE.

Those who have yet to claim their pay can proceed to the PESO office at the third floor of the Government Center to secure a clearance before going to the cashier. Students can also authorize their parents or immediate family members to receive their salaries. (PNA)