By Felipe V. Celino
ROXAS CITY, Capiz – Twenty farmers cooperatives in Capiz each received on Feb 9, 2023 a combine harvester from the provincial government.
The formal turnover was led by the Philippine Center for Post-Harvest Development and Mechanization (PhilMech) and the Capiz Provincial Government at the Capitol ground.
The agricultural equipment are part of the Rice Competitiveness Enhancement Fund (RCEF) Mechanization Program of the Department of Agriculture (DA) themed “Aarangkada ang Magsasaka sa Paggamit ng Tamang Makinarya.”
The harvesters were given to active and qualified farmers’ associations or cooperatives that were validated by the provincial government.
Capiz Governor Fredenil Castro told the recipient farmers’ cooperatives to take good care of the equipment as these could help them improve rice production.
“Ini nga kahiwatan ang nagapakita lamang nga kita ang nagapadulong na sa mekanisasyon ukon moderno nga teknolohiya sa pagpanguma kag ginasundan na ang progresibo nga mga pungsod. Dapat unahon kag suportahan sang gobyerno ang mga mangunguma bangud kon wala sila, magutuman gid kita”, the governor added.
Roxas City Mayor Ronnie Dadivas thanked Castro for the initiatives in acquiring modern equipment for the farmers in Capiz. He said the modern equipment will bring big opportunities in the agriculture sector.
Present during the turnover were provincial board members, mayors from different towns of Capiz, and Joel V. Dator, division chief of Facility Management and Field Operations Division, who represented Dr. Dionisio G. Alvindia, PHilMech director IV.
Eight farmers’ associations in the First District and 12 in the Second District received the said farm equipment worth P1,750,000 each or a total of P35 million.
The 20 recipient farmers’ cooperatives were:
- Indayagan Farmers Association sa banwa sang Maayon
- Calitan Multi-Purpose Cooperative sang Panay
- Cabangahan Farmers Association
- Pasugue Community Farmers Association
- Tabuc Norte Farmers Irrigators Association Inc., sa banwa sang Panitan
- Tabuc Farmers Association sang Pontevedra
- Barangay Adlawan Farmers Association
- Bago Farmers Association sa syudad sang Roxas
- Barangay Angub Farmers Association sa Cuartero
- Nasunogan Farmers Association sa Dao
- Agraca Agrarian Reform Cooperative
- Consolacion Farmers and Irrigators Multi-Purpose Cooperative sa banwa sang Dumalag
- Astorga Farmers Association
- Nagsulang Farmers Association sa Dumarao
- Bubbles Farmers Association
- Cabalbat Irrigators Association, Inc., sa Mambusao
- Majanlud Farmers and Fisher folks Association sa Sapian
- Balucuan Farmers Association sa Sigma
- SJPAF Irrigator’s Association Inc. and
- Samahang Magbubukid sang San Nicolas Farmers Association sa banwa sang Tapaz.